Carbonous Oxide. CO. Solution in water.
Clinical.-Cramps. Headache. Herpes zoster. Paralysis. Pemphigus. Sciatica. Trismus.
Characteristics.-The effects of Carb. ox. have been noted in persons poisoned by the gas. It produces a state like intoxication. The person is confused, stupid. There is loss of consciousness. Anaesthesia, but the slightest touch with a hot iron recalls sensibility. Convulsions and cramps. Great sleepiness lasting for several days; interrupted by cramps in cheeks and toes. Great coldness of surface, hands icy cold. Marked > of symptoms, especially of chest, in open air.
Relations.-Compare: Carb. hydro.
1. Mind.-Depressed: stupid; apathetic.-Anxiety, with desire for air but too paralysed to seek it.
2. Head.-Vertigo; inclination to turn in a circle.-Headache, violent, persistent, with throbbing in temporal arteries.-Frontal headache which extends over the whole head, but chiefly felt in forehead, which seems pushed out.-Weight; throbbing; compression; sticking headache.
3. Eyes.-Eyes protrude; sight dim with vertigo, and fluttering and flickering before sight.
4. Ears.-Roaring in ears.
6. Face.-Trismus; jaws firmly clenched.
8. Mouth.-Paralysis of tongue.
11. Stomach.-Stomach so irritable that everything eaten was immediately vomited.
13. Stool.-Involuntary evacuations.
14. Urinary Organs.-Paralysis of bladder.-Urine contains sugar.
17. Respiratory Organs.-Rattling of mucus in air-passages.-Bloody mucus raised.-Expired air feels cool to back of observer's hand.-Breathing stertorous, slow.-Sense of suffocation.
19. Heart.-Intolerable pain in region of heart.-Violent palpitation.
20. Back.-Burning pain at right scapula.
23. Lower Limbs.-Shooting pains in r. natis and down sciatic nerve to foot, not < by pressure or movement.
25. Skin.-Whole skin covered with large and small vesicles of pemphigus.-Purple maculation of skin.-Herpes zoster l. side of face along branches of trigeminus.
26. Sleep.-Great sleepiness for several days.-Never slept so long before.-Sleep deep, prolonged, interrupted by cramps in cheeks and toes.