Pinus canadensis. Hemlock Spruce. Canada Pitch. N. O. Coniferae. Tincture of fresh bark and young buds.
Clinical.-Indigestion. Liver disorder. Uterine displacement.
Characteristics.-Abies can. has been only imperfectly proved, but it has marked symptoms which will serve to indicate it in any case of disease in which they may be prominent: Great appetite, tendency to over-eat; gnawing, hungry, faint feeling in epigastrium. According to Hale it has cured: "A light-headed feeling, attended with a gnawing, hungry, faint feeling at epigastrium, craving hunger which, if gratified, was followed by distension of the stomach and hard beating of the heart." Among the peculiar sensations are: A feeling as if the right lung and liver were small and hard; pain beneath right scapula. The patient lies with the legs drawn up. Shivering as if the blood turned to cold water.
Relations.-Compare: Abies nig., Sabina, Thuja, and other Conifers, Nux vom.
1. Mind.-Quiet, careless, but easily fretted.
2. Head.-Tipsy feeling, a swimming of the head; light-headed.
3. Eyes.-Sensation as of a stye in outer canthus of l. eye.
8. Mouth.-Dryness of the mouth.
10. Appetite.-Gnawing, hungry, faint feeling at the epigastrium.-Craving for meat, pickles, and other coarse food.-Some thirst.-A tendency to eat far beyond the capacity for digestion.
11. Stomach.-Distension of the stomach and epigastrium; burning.
12. Abdomen.-Sick feeling in the bowels.-Rumbling in the bowels after eating, with great appetite.-Sensation as if the liver were small and hard; as if bile were deficient.
13. Stool and Anus.-Burning in rectum.-Constipation.
14. Urinary Organs.-Urinates frequently day and night; urine straw-coloured.
16. Female Sexual Organs.-Thinks the womb is soft and feeble (thinks would cause abortion).-Sore feeling at the fundus of uterus; > by pressing.
17. Respiratory Organs.-Breathing laboured.-Sensation as if the right lung were small and hard.
19. Heart.-Action of the heart laboured.-Increased action of the heart with distension of the stomach.
20. Neck and Back.-Pain behind the right shoulder-blade.-Weak feeling in sacral region.-Feeling as of cold water between the shoulders.
24. Generalities.-Hands cold, shrunken.-Skin cold and clammy.-Lies with the legs drawn up.-Great prostration, wants to lie down all the time.-Very faint, as if top of head were congested.-Twitching of the muscles.
26. Sleep.-Gaping, drowsy.-Great restlessness at night, with tossing from side to side.
27. Fever.-Cold shivering all, over as if blood turned to ice-water.-Chills down back.