Metallic Arsenic. As (A. W. 74.9). Trituration.
Clinical.-Constipation. Coryza. Diarrhoea. Eyes, affections of. Haemorrhoids. Headache. Itching. Sciatica. Syphilis.
Characteristics.-The symptoms of metallic arsenic are very like those of Ars. alb., but not entirely. The following may be regarded as the most peculiar: Symptoms recur every 14 days; coryza every 21 days. Pains extend from one part to another; or leave one part and appear in another. Attacks come suddenly and go slowly, or vice versÃ¢. Enlarged or swollen feeling of brain, head, eyelids, hands, and fingers. Cutting, burning, stinging pains. Itching in many parts, skin peels off in small scales. Hot bathing < pain in hip. > Lying on l. side (heart). Washing > itching of anus. Cold bathing > itching of face. < On waking in morning. Thinking of symptoms < Many symptoms appear on r. side. Ars. met. lights up syphilis after being many years dormant.
Relations.-Compare: Iod., Merc., Nat. c. in syphilis; Nux v. (drowsy after sound sleep); Rhus (pain in back, hips, &c.); Sul. (pulse); Ars. alb. Useful in pterygium after failure of Nux v. and Spigel. Antidoted by: Bell. (sore throat); Nat. c. (syphilitic symptoms).
Causation.-Laughing (headache). Thinking (headache).
1. Mind.-Memory weak, esp. of what is read; cannot take in what he reads.-Fears will be poisoned.
2. Head.-Heavy, dull feeling in forehead above frontal sinuses in morning.-Fulness; on waking at night.-As if brain were too large and it would burst.-Glow over l. brow.-Pain l. side extending to ear and eye, with nausea.-Headache when writing, thinking, laughing.-Hair falls off.
3. Eyes.-Soreness of eyes; irritated and red or sore.-Upper lid sore and feels swollen.-Pterygium (r).
5. Nose.-Coryza and hoarseness < in morning.-Eyes red, excoriating tears, nose swollen, head feels enlarged, full as if tied up; sneezing and dyspnoea increase every second day; return every two weeks.
6. Face.-Swelling, itching, burning, stinging of forehead and face, < at night, > by cold washing.
8. Mouth.-Tongue coated white; imprinted with teeth.-Mouth sore; ulcerated.
9. Throat.-Inflamed and ulcerated, several small ulcers.-Violently inflamed throat, pain on swallowing, heat < r. side, after coryza.
11, 12. Stomach and Abdomen.- < From brandy.-Takes away, or causes desire for alcohol.-Sore pain in liver goes through to shoulders and spine.-Pain in spleen down to groin, evening.-Pain in breast extends to region of spleen.-Bloated abdomen.-On waking, cutting, shooting, tormenting belly-ache, followed by burning, watery stool and cessation of pain.-Painful swelling in r. groin < on extending leg.
13. Stool and Anus.-Diarrhoea, burning watery stools with, relief of pain, but leaving much debility falls asleep sitting.-Constipation.-Piles exceedingly painful, bleed a little itching in an us < after rubbing; extending to perineum and scrotum; > washing with very hot water.
14. Urinary Organs.-Urine hot in evening.-Red, sandy sediment.
15. Male Sexual Organs.-Pain in groins; morning, r., evening, l.-Bubo r. < stretching leg; > walking; < sitting.-Itching in glans, prepuce swollen.-Chancres, with burning pain.-Offensive sweat on genitals.-Itching on scrotum.
16. Female Sexual Organs.-Catamenia too early and too scanty.-Heat in uterus and vagina; burning when touched.-Pain in uterus and vagina during period.
18. Chest.-Stitches in breasts; extending to hip; to spleen.-As if heavy load lying on chest all night; dreams of danger on water.
19. Heart.-Cutting pain in heart (4 p.m.); can only lie on l. side.-Pulse accelerated in morning (Sul.).
21. Limbs.-Hands and fingers feel swollen; feel stiff as if they could not be closed.-Cracking of finger-joints.-Icy coldness or burning of hands and feet.-Lameness in r. hip-joint, and down thigh, < moving from seat, > continuing to walk; < bathing; < lying on r. side; throbbing < morning, > evening.-Sensation of dryness in r. knee-joint.
24. Generalities.-Prostration of strength, weariness.
25. Skin.-Peels off in small scales.-Rash on face; or abdomen.-Small boils on face.-Syphilitic symptoms reproduced.
26. Sleep.-Excessive drowsiness all day after an unusually sound sleep at night.-Sleepy, but can't sleep (Bell).